What is car insurance in Indonesia?
Car insurance in Indonesia provides vehicle drivers with protection against financial risks – in the event of car accidents, collisions with objects, theft, natural disasters and more – for their vehicle and the passengers inside it.
What types of car insurance are available in Indonesia?
There are two types of car insurance policies generally available in Indonesia: Comprehensive car insurance (All Risk) and Total Loss Only (TLO).
Comprehensive car insurance, often referred to as All Risk car insurance in Indonesia, may vary in its level of protection depending on the insurer you choose.
Total Loss Only (TLO) is a car insurance type that will generally provide insurance coverage only if the damages to your vehicle exceed 75% of the total value of your car or if your car is stolen.
What is comprehensive car insurance in Indonesia?
Comprehensive car insurance in Indonesia, also known as All Risk car insurance, is a type of car insurance that provides competitive coverage against risks such as damages to property or health, collision or car accidents, theft, fire, flood, and other natural disasters. Often you can customise the policy with add-on options that suit the best of your needs.
What is the difference between comprehensive car insurance and Total Loss Only (TLO)?
The main differences between Comprehensive car insurance policy and Total Loss Only are the level of insurance coverage and of course, the premium price. Comprehensive car insurance provides financial protection against a wider range of risks than Total Loss Only coverage. This means that, if you have a TLO insurance policy, you can only file a claim if the damage to your car is equal or higher than 75% of the value of your car. As an example: a dented car bumper may be covered under a comprehensive car insurance policy, but not under a TLO policy. If your car is stolen, however, this would be covered by both comprehensive car insurance and TLO car insurance. Because of this, the insurance premium of All-risk comprehensive insurance might be higher since the insurer has to take on a higher risk of protecting your vehicle against a wider range of damages.
Which insurance type is best for my car?
The best car insurance policy for your car will depend on several factors such as your driving habits, your budget, the type of vehicle you drive, and the level of coverage you would like.
If you have a vehicle that you value and drive often, comprehensive insurance may be a better option as it offers better coverage and protection. On the other hand, if your vehicle is much older and has lost significant value, and you are looking for cost-effective protection, Total Loss Only insurance might be a better option for you.
Which type of car insurance is offered at Roojai?
Roojai Indonesia currently offers comprehensive car insurance (also referred to as All Risk) which can be customised according to the customer’s needs, therefore allowing you to find the coverage that suits you and your budget best.
What are car insurance coverage options?
Comprehensive car insurance policy with Roojai includes the main coverage which can then be customised with additional benefits in order to get competitive coverage according to your requirements.
These benefits are:
- Sum insured up to IDR 2 bio
- Third party liability coverage for bodily damage and property damage. This covers you for when you accidentally hit another person’s car, for example. At Roojai, you can choose the insurance coverage value of IDR 0, 25, 50, 100 mio.
- Personal Accident and medical expense coverage. Customers can choose coverage value of IDR 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 mio per person
- Natural disasters protection such as protection from floods, windstorm, earthquake, volcanic eruption, and tsunami
- SRCC (Strikes, Riots, Civil Commotions) protection
- Emergency roadside assistance - get 24/7 roadside help in case of emergency
- Transport Allowance in cases where your car will be at the garage for longer than 5 days.
- Accessories. At Roojai we currently cover body kit, AV system, car window tints, tires and rims, and dashboard camera. Coming soon.
Does Roojai partner garage provide warranty on repair and use original spare parts?
Yes, all Roojai partner garages, both our preferred and dealer garage, guarantee the use of original spare parts for all types and brands of insured car.
We also offer a 6-month repair warranty for all car repairs, which begins after your car is returned to you. So, let's say your car experiences some issues after being repaired at a Roojai partner garage, caused by negligence or error during the repair process. If it happens within the warranty period, you can simply visit the same garage where your car was repaired, and they will fix the problem at no additional cost to you.
What is insurance deductible or own risk?
Insurance deductible or own risk is the amount that you as a policyholder pay out of your pocket, before making an insurance claim. In Indonesia, there's a standard deductible of IDR 300,000 per car accident, meanwhile, at Roojai the deductible fee for total loss is 5% of the claim fee with a minimum of IDR 500,000 per incident and IDR 300,000 per incident for partial loss.
Some insurance companies may allow you to decrease your insurance premium if you decide to get a higher deductible, which in the long term helps you save more as well as remove requirements to make insurance claims for minor incidents that would otherwise affect your good driving record.
What is the car repair plan?
Most insurance companies will have their own garage network where you can get your car repaired. Roojai’s car repair garage network includes more than 750 garages and growing, about half of which are authorised dealer garages. Currently, we are aiming to build the most comprehensive garage network on Java island, and ultimately the most comprehensive nation-wide. For those living on Java island, this should help you find the garage nearest you when you’re looking to get your car repaired. When customising your insurance plan, you will be able to specify whether you want to choose an all partner garage or dealer only garage. Keep in mind that your insurance premium will be calculated depending on your selection.
At the moment, you will be covered only for repairs done in garages which are part of our network
Does comprehensive coverage include third party liability insurance?
Yes, comprehensive insurance coverage typically protects you from financial loss in case you cause damages to another person or their property (for example, if your car hits another car). At Roojai, we offer coverage value of IDR 0, 25, 50, 100 mio depending on how you customise your policy.
Does car insurance in Indonesia provide coverage for fires, floods and natural disasters?
Fire damage is normally covered as part of the main comprehensive insurance coverage. Additional protection from risks such as floods, windstorm, earthquakes or tsunami, can be added as optional benefits under the Roojai comprehensive insurance coverage.
Does car insurance in Indonesia provide coverage for car theft or break in?
Yes, car theft and cases of break ins are covered. If someone steals your spare tire, for example, the loss would be covered under most comprehensive car insurance. But please note that the coverage is for damages or loss to your car only. If someone smashes your car window and steals your laptop, the window would be covered under comprehensive car insurance. For the laptop, you will need a different insurance product.
Does car insurance in Indonesia provide coverage for riots or social unrest?
This coverage is often included as an added optional benefit. For cases where multiple perpetrators are involved such as riots, gang violence, and social unrest, your damages will be covered if you choose comprehensive car insurance with expansion.
Does car insurance in Indonesia provide any personal accident or medical expense coverage?
Yes, car insurance in Indonesia covers both personal accident and medical expenses. With Roojai, you can customise your coverage and choose anywhere between: IDR 0 (not covered), 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 mio coverage per person. We immediately assume this means 1 driver and 4 passengers. For example, if a customer chooses IDR 40 mio coverage, then we will cover 1 driver + 4 passengers at IDR 40 mio each.
Can I purchase auto insurance for multiple cars under one policy?
Most car insurance will cover one car per insurance policy. For multiple cars under one policy there is what’s called a fleet or commercial car insurance. As is common, Roojai Indonesia currently provides one insurance policy per car.
How to buy car insurance in Indonesia?
There are many ways that you can buy insurance in Indonesia: through an agent, directly with the insurance company, or at online marketplaces. At Roojai, we offer simple and easy steps that allow you to buy insurance online in a matter of minutes as long as you have a phone with an internet connection:
- Answer a quick 30 second questionnaire - Click the Car Insurance icon on Roojai homepage and answer questions about yourself and your automobile. You can do this in complete comfort and privacy – we will only contact you if you ask to be contacted.
- Customise your coverage - Once you’ve received the initial quote, you can still customise your insurance coverage to suit your driving habits, budget and needs. Choose a payment method or ask for a call back - Once you’ve finalised your options
- Choose a payment method or ask for a call back - Once you’ve finalised your options and receive your final price, you can pay for your car insurance online through the Roojai website or submit your phone number for our customer service to call you back and process your payment over the phone, to make sure you get the policy that is right for you.
- The insurance policy will be activated once you’ve passed our car inspection (conducted via video call for your convenience). Policy details will be available 24/7 in MyAccount on our website
If you find it preferable to speak to an agent, you can also call us at 021 5089 0821.
Do I need to do a vehicle inspection?
Yes, car inspection or survey is normally required before the policy can be activated. At Roojai, vehicle inspection is conducted live over a video call, for your convenience. During the video call, the agent will take photos for documentation purposes. This process normally takes just 5-10 minutes. If for some reason you are not able to connect through video call, our surveyor will assist you.
After you complete the registration and payment process on the website, we will remind you to do a car inspection through email and/or phone. Additionally, we will help you to get prepared for the car inspection process. Just follow instructions such as: make sure your car is parked in a well-lit place with enough space around it so that we can have a proper view. Please have your car registration card and driver’s licence ready.
How to pay for my car insurance?
Roojai offers you convenient payment methods such as:
- Credit card
- Virtual account
To make it easier, you can also pay in instalments using not only credit card but also virtual account as payment options.
Can I pay for my car insurance in instalments?
Yes, Roojai offers a 6-monthly instalment plan, which you can pay using credit card or virtual account. And when paying in instalments using a credit card, we don’t block the amount against your card limit, which should make the premium more manageable for many people.
What is the process of making a car insurance claim?
Each insurance company will have its own forms or process. At Roojai, we strive to save you time as much as possible, and you can file a claim through your mobile phone and the claim survey can be done using live video call. Specifically the steps are:
- If you’re involved in a road accident, immediately call us on our claim hotline at 021 5089 0821 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You need to report the accident not more than 5 calendar days after the accident happened.
- Our claim team will support you through the process and instruct you with which documents you need to prepare.
- You can document the damages to your car as initial proof of damage or loss when submitting your claim. Then, you need to schedule a video car survey with Roojai by calling 021 5089 0821. If you are unable to do a car survey via video call, Roojai's car surveyor team will come to your address to check on your car directly.
- Fill out the claim form and any additional documents that Roojai may request. Send it to our claim team so that we can process it in a timely manner. This can be done via email.
- Request your claim handler to provide you with the best and nearest repair garage in our network so that you can take your car for repairs
- Keep track of your claim process and feel free to give us a call to ask for updates on your claim, we are here to ensure a smooth and carefree process for you.
- For more details you can visit our how to make an insurance claim page.
What documents do I need to prepare for an insurance claim?
In general, there are several documents that you must complete when submitting a claim. However, the specifics will depend on the incident/loss that you experience.
- Filled and signed claim document
- Copy of driving licence and vehicle registration certificate
- Police report regarding the accident
- Written chronology of events.
- Photo or video of the damages (if required by the Insurer)
How do I cancel my insurance policy?
There are few common steps that might give you a better understanding of the process:
- Contact your car insurance company
- Complete the required documents
- Sign the policy cancellation document
At Roojai, if you needed to cancel your insurance policy, you can simply contact our team. We can cancel the policy as soon as our customer service team can get a confirmation through the phone.
How do I change my insurance policy details?
To change insurance policy information at Roojai, you need to contact Roojai customer service and provide details of the required changes. Our agents will accommodate you the best we can, however there may be additional documents we may request.
Comprehensive car insurance tips:
There are few things you need to consider before buying comprehensive car insurance in Indonesia to get the best price car insurance.
- Read carefully through the different coverage options for your vehicle and make sure to get the level of protection suitable for you.
- Compare coverage details between different types of insurance and the level of protection they provide
- Check whether the car repair garage network has locations within a reasonable distance to you.
- Consider adding insurance excess or deductible, this will reduce your insurance premium while also reducing the need to make insurance claims on minor scratches or incidents.
- After choosing comprehensive car insurance, don't forget to read the policy documents carefully to make sure you understand what is covered.
Both comprehensive car insurance and Total Loss Only have advantages and disadvantages depending on your vehicle and your profile. Consider the cost of the policy against the level of protection you need for your vehicle and your driving habits. If you are looking for peace of mind for yourself, your loved ones and your beloved automobile, a comprehensive car insurance policy will provide you with sufficient coverage to cover you from any unnecessary financial losses.